Ultraviolet will fail

Yeah, I realized my gaffe..the movie isn't out until next weekend, so expect a review then. But until that..my analysis of the ad campaign for the flick. This movie will fail, and it's the studios fault.

(I am giving Wimmer a lot of upfront credit. I think that he has proven he can take a run of the mill premise and make something special, so we will assume that the movie is good.)

The ad campaign is horrible. What sets this flick apart from any dime a dozen female herione flick? What even sets this apart from Aeon Flux, or Underworld? Is this a popcorn flick, or is there something more at work?

Had it not been for Wimmer's attachment to this, it would fly completely under my radar. Since no one knows who the hell Wimmer is, I have a feeling you'll see this movie fly under everyone's radar, and relegate Wimmer to lo-budget for the rest of his career. Look for this movie to unfortunately tank next weekend.

4 comments:

Fazer said...

I really don't think anyone expects this movie to do well. As a huge Wimmer fan, I already am a bit suspect of the stuff I have scene from this movie. Most of it involves what I think is the mistake of casting Milla. She comes off a bit too robotic in the action scenes (granted they are clips), and I agree with justin here, there are too many female heroine movies, and even worse there are too many starring Milla.

I will still watch this, but my expectations are low.

Anonymous said...

Let me clarify..I don't think that this movie will be bad, and my expectations are actually pretty high, I just think that in the mainstream sense, this will tank and tank hard.

Fazer said...

That is the beauty of DVD. I believe wimmer made Equilibrium for something like 10 million dollars...correct me if I am wrong. The movie did nothing at the BO. It became a big hit on DVD worldwide. With a March release a decent SIZE (not necessarily quality) ad campaign and a i think 20 million budget (what i recall reading), this movie has the ability to do well. If anything, it just looks different from the other crap that is in theaters right now. I hope for the best, but I am expecting a small showing.

Anonymous said...

I totally forgot to mention what drove me to write this post..the studio has decided not to screen this for critics. If they had any faith at all, or if this really is more than it seems to be, they pretty much shot themselves in the foot.