Surface...sunk



Thanks to the Sci Fi channel reruns and a total lack of tv on Mondays, I was able to follow NBC's Surface from beginning to end. Let me start out by saying, this show's pedigree was more exciting than the show itself turned out to be. Josh and Jonas Pate were behind one of my all time fave series (which of course got cut short) G vs. E aka Good Vs. Evil. Great show, far ahead of its time, needs to be on Dvd, etc. etc. They later did the new Dragnet show with Al Bundy and then as far as i know got the idea for Surface.

I won't bore you guys by going into the details of the show, but needless to say it took a radical turn about 3/4ths of the way through. It was an interesting turn going with the all knowing "company" with some super genetic agenda in hand, but it was executed quite poorly. The main characters became annoying rather than more interesting...and as for the kid, Miles, I hope he never works again. He is one of the worst actors I have ever seen and his face bothers me. To top it all off, the ending to the show was complete crap. There was no closure whatsoever (something promised by NBC execs). I doubt NBC will be bringing it back based on its ratings, but there are a lot of cool ideas that were just touched upon i.e. new age Noah's ark, Ra's Al Ghul-esque plan to restart life, etc. And those are just my theories on where they were going with the show.

Oh well. Long story short, if you are a scifi geek you will probably enjoy surface as a rental when it is inevitably released on DVD (all crap TV ends up on DVD, but why oh why is G vs. E still not on disc yet!?).

No comments: