Justin Fixes the Sweeps Update: Faze

Since I have to be the negative guy around here, and the only show I think is up to par is The Sopranos (well and the Office), I'm going all counterpoint on Faze's ass.

24: Who knows what it is about this show that keeps me glued. It's not as interesting as seasons past, and never as ballsy as it's best cliffhangers tease. Somehow though, the still badass Jack Bauer and his merry band of folks keep this show near the top of my DVR list. Aside from the cliffhangers, which I agree with the Faze on, a major recurrance is the reliance on bureaucratic roadbloacks to Jack. It seems no matter how many times this guy is right, there's some new head of CTU or protocol that is in his way. It's a plot device used almost every week. If this didn't exist, this season's 24 would have to be called 2.

Prison Break: I have all four of these waiting on my DVR. More later.

Family Guy: After a phenominal return and great run, the show has gone downhill for me since the Quagmire falls in love episode. The last 2 or so have produced about as much laughs from me as your average episode of Mad TV or Saving Private Ryan. Hopefully they are just off their game, but if this streak continues, I don't see this lasting on my must watch list.

American Idol: Fuck you for mentioning this on my site. To all of you people watching this, thank you for making a shitty karaoke/popularity contest one of the most watched shows on TV. Die.

Scrubs: Keith is horrible. This season is horrible. I feel this perhaps more than others because I only caught up with the show last year..the first few seasons still fresh in my mind. How did these characters' reality become more crazy than JD's old fantasies? How have they managed to dumb down these characters that they have taken so much care to give depth? Why, when Elliot had nothing to do, did they have to give her the jackass Keith? Why do the producers of the show think he is good enough to be recurring? The show may be getting it's best ratings, but god dammit it has nothing to do with the current state of things. There have been some good shows, the Wizard of Oz and Air Guitar band being standouts. Fasion is really shining this year as well, they are giving him room to breathe. The rest of the scrubs are just starting to annoy me..even the great Dr. Cox has been hitting the same note for a while. The former masterful balance of comedy and drama has been tilted way to the comedy side, with the drama forced in at the end in an almost full house fashion..all that is missing is the shitty guitar riff. The Office is the funniest show that is (still, arrested development RIP) on television right now.

Veronica Mars: One of the most consistent shows on TV is still pretty great. I have quite a backlog of these to watch so I'm not completely caught up, but I am liking where the show is going. My only problem here is that the attempts to make this accident seem personal to Veronica seem stretched..that is nothing that can't be tied in later. I also love the possibility that season one's mystery hasn't really been solved.

Supernatural: I will watch this one on DVD.

Lost: Ah yes, you've been waiting for this one. Jeph Loeb, known mainly for his work on some recent great Batman comic books, has seen some work with Lost this season..And some of it has been pretty good. Ok, I lied, this show sucks, but like 24, I keep tuning in to see when they slide in their approximately 1 out of 5 ratio in which the episodes have anything interesting happening to a character you give a shit about. Seriously, who cares about the asian couple? If you say that you do, you really ought to get outside, or at least down to your video store and rent a show that does this type of thing right, Twin Peaks, or even get a COMIC BOOK that does it right, The Walking Dead. Anyway, the last Locke episode was a good example of how good it could be. They didn't spoonfeed us anything, and they didn't really reveal anything, but they added to the mythology of the show in a way that kept it interesting. I don't care about the love triangle, I don't care about Sun's baby, I don't care about the sand in Ana Lucia's snapper. I care about the main story. The writers haven't given any characters enough depth or relevance, outside of a precious few, for that to change for me.

3 comments:

Fazer said...

I forgot to mention that about scrubs. Elliot is still lost in the show, and nothing they do with her makes me interested in her. While I don't think its bad, it is a poor scrubs' season as far as the comedy/forced drama factor, which I believe I mentioned in our last podcast too (whenever the hell that was).

And I like American Idol. If it wasn't for that show Bones would not be on TV right now. Not that I watch Bones, but I couldn't think of a better comeback.

worry said...

I'm an AI fan myself, but Faze I can't believe you didn't mention Elliott. Chris has a great voice technically speaking, but this 5th-generation watered down grunge stuff he's into kind of negates any hope I might have had for his victory. Elliott on the other hand has a great singing voice, is just as nice as Chris seems to be, and most importantly doesn't come from the Scott Stapp school of 'hard' rock. Other than that, the only other contender is McPhee, who has a pretty strong voice and is the only truly photogenic contestant left.

Anonymous said...

you are both fired.