Vice Wins Box Office Battle, Probably Loses the War

The good news this weekend is that MIAMI VICE did claim the top spot at the box office and ousted mega-hit PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST from the throne after 3 weeks at #1. The bad news is VICE took in just over $25 million which isn't too hot considering the reported budget for the film was $135 million.

I've toyed with putting up a review of VICE on here but the nature of film business is sadly so slanted to the opening weekend that by now everyone essentially has made up their mind whether they will see it in theaters or not. To give the short version of my view the movie is tremendous. One of the better realistic looks at undercover cops. It's not an action film, but the last 40 minutes contain the 2 best action sequences I've seen in a movie this year.

I don't know what it is about audiences that cause them to be largely indifferent to crime dramas. It seems like every week some cheap comedy does decent business. I know youngsters make up a large portion of the movie going public but who in the hell sees an add for JOHN TUCKER MUST DIE and thinks that it's a film they gotta lay eyes on? That movie just made more this past weekend than the film NARC earned during its entire run.

2 comments:

Fazer said...

i will still watch this movie. Unforseen circumstances kept me from the theater. But Vice will be had, sooner rather than later.

Chris said...

Definitely check it out. It's one of the few times I've seen a movie this year where I immediately was looking forward to the DVD.