Russell + Tarantino = Me Happy


The big news just keeps coming from Comic-Con. It has been reported that 12 men were spotted on the convention floor with brushed teeth, I repeat 12 men brushed their teeth. While details aren't quite clear on that scoop another big story comes from Comingsoon.net. While hyping his joint film with Robert Rodriguez, GRIND HOUSE, Quentin Tarantino announced that living legend Kurt Russell will have the lead in his half of the movie titled "Death Proof."

Russell will play a slasher character known as Stuntman Mike, a role that had originally been cast with Mickey Rourke. No definite word has come out as to why Rourke is off the film but if I know Rourke (which I don't) I bet it has something to do with manslaughter.

This could be a real shot in the arm for Russell who needs it after POSEIDON bombed its way in and out of theaters in record time earlier this summer. He has played a ton of anti-heroes in his career but he has really never done a total maniac turn that this role promises to be. I sort of feel bad for Rourke but to be honest he has been on an upswing the past few years and has roles in some high profile upcoming flicks, including the Tarantino-produced KILLSHOT. GRIND HOUSE is scheduled for release on April 6th.

What a difference a few hours can make. Earlier today I was bummed to see that Russell might end up doing needless STARGATE sequels. Now I'm stoked to see that he'll be working with my favorite director. Of course I'm still wearing the same syrup-stained T-shirt that I've had on all day so it's not like things are all that different.

No comments: