Total Recall: Veronica Mars Season 2


Wow. Very interesting ending to season 2 of Veronica Mars. I will stay out of spoiler territory.

Season 2 was packed. One more big mystery, a massive amount of storylines, and a shocker of an ending. In the end, I think our hero Rob Thomas oversaturated this season. There were way too many storylines, way too many left turns, way too many suspects, and really way too much for one season. It became almost a challenge just to remember what events were being referred to as the season progressed. I also felt like the season started to meander a bit midway through, but then went into super pursuit mode in the last 6 episodes, 5 of which were really killer episodes.

I am sure Justin and possibly Kyle will chime in here and explain to me "that I don't understand good tv" or "you are just too stupid to not have followed the intelligent plotting of the season", but I will address that now by saying it was far too complex a season. From drug dealers, to PCH'ers in upheaval, to stabbings, to 2 murder trials, to dirty surgeons, to janitors, etc etc. And after digesting it all, it just felt like there were a lot of unnecessary tangents to the storyline. Granted, all of that could have been forgiven if the finale had made a little bit more sense. I enjoy the cliffhangers setup for season 3. I loved Charisma Carpenter's role in this season. I enjoyed most of the characters (although Logan and Veronica's on again off again romance thing is starting to get annoying). But the unclear motive of the ultimate villain and the ridiculousness of how he/she was able to get everything to work out kind of took me out out of the show. Also, for those who watched it, the 2 emotional "shock" moments to veronica in the finale was one unbelievable and the other just seemed too tacked on.

I really enjoyed the season overall even if it feels like I just had all these random memories and images implanted in my head, some of which were pertinent and some of which was just filler. Oh well, I look forward to season 3 "The college years", which according to Justin's sources (one of which also said that Arrested coming to showtime was already a done deal) and several other insiders will be a reality on the CW.

"See you at the party Richter!!!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ill remind you that Arrested was a done deal until the unforseen Hurwitz backing out happened. The 11th hour renewal of the absolute shit "7th Heaven" makes getting our ass back to Mars a little less certain than I would like.

And you are an idiot, who doesn't understand good TV, music, or movies, but not too much for this particular reason. I agree with you to an extent about there being too many plotlines, but quite a few of these were not only necessary filler, but nice red herrings--unlike the crazier every week and writing as they go along 24 (which is still entertaining, which is what it is all about). Even I didn't know what was going on or being referred to sometimes. All of that said, it was still wrapped up nicely with a culprit that I wouldn't have guessed, and in hindsight, it appears that again this season was planned out well ahead of time. I am enjoying Prision Break, 24, The Sopranos, and even Lost has had a few good to excellent weeks, but for my money, Miss Mars takes the cake this season.

Here's to next season, where I'll hopefully come out with more than four regular shows. POST GOODNESS COMING SOON>

Fazer said...

I am in agreement with both of you. I actually enjoyed the red herrings in VM 2.0, until they created 19 of them. But, I give credit to rob thomas for planning out the red herrings quite well.

I do like the 8-7-7 story arc idea. It feels more natural for a show like this. I am not sure why more shows don't apply that type of structure to their seasons. Comic books have been doing it for years now with great success. Sometimes the shorter 5-6 ep story arc can be stronger than a massive 26 episode season long one.

I think a lot of shows would benefit from a truncated season. The FX dramas use the 13 (sometimes 15-16) episode arcs to perfection. Things don't drag and there is enough time to develop stories and characters well.