Elliott Yamin is out!

EDIT-NO AMERICAN IDOL NEWS ON HERE GOD DAMMIT!-JUSTIN

Everyone knows by now, I suppose, but this sad day still must be marked in mourning. Elliott Yamin, American Idol's half-deaf soul-singing prodigy, got expelled from the show tonight. He was my favorite from early on, and I really thought he would make it to the end, but alas it isn't so. This had to have been one of the closest votes in history, as each artist had 33% and a fraction. So Yamin got the least of that final percentage point, and exited with dignity. The finalists are therefore Taylor Hicks and Katherine McPhee, each no doubt propelled by their respective gimmicks. Taylor, of course, has his premature gray hair, his Michael McDonald white-as-hell soul, and that ever-present inexplicable scowl; Katherine, for her part, is hot. The humble but talanted Elliott relied only on his pitch perfect voice and his infectious smile, and sadly that's just not what slightly more than 2/3 of America wants. I hope he gets a break from somebody somewhere, because he really has talent.

So next week is the finals, where America crowns its next idol. And I know where my vote is going: Katherine McPhee. Not only does she have a good voice, but she's fairly affable, and she seems to be prone to wardrobe malfunctions. And I think I speak for enough men and women and children and pets and wild beasts of land, air, and sea when I say I'd rather see photospreads of Katherine plastering news stands (figurative news stands, as my town doesn't have any) than Taylor's sour mug everywhere. Don't just vote with your ears next week, America; vote with your head as well. The part of your head not including your ears. Mostly I'm talking about the eyes. Vote her into stardom and the clutches of a fast-talking photographer. As far as I know, Elliott would have wanted it that way.

7 comments:

Fazer said...

I think that fraction that Elliot did not have was due to people voting with their eyes. I hate to be this superficial (not really), but the guy is a bit gargoyle like. Great singer, but he also has this inexplicable attachment to donnie hathaway songs that NO ONE knows.

As far as Katherine, she is easy on the eyes, she can sing well, and she has a badunka dunk (which those crazy kids and their rap music love nowadays).

I have actually been a taylor fan from day one because I appreciated his music tastes and just find him fun to watch. If I had to pick who is the more logical choice for AI, it would be McPhee because she is infinitely more marketable, and there is no doubt she will sing whatever crap ass original songs they come up with for the finals better than Taylor will because I am sure they will be slow, ballad like BS songs that you can't dance to.

Good season this year.
www.dialidol.com

worry said...

my opinion of taylor's talent changes almost with each song, tell you the truth. but there's no way he should win over katherine, for all pop purpopses.

Fazer said...

You know michael mcdonald is chomping at the bit to sign this guy to one of his 19 "michael covers motown" albums for a duet of some sort.

Unknown said...

I loved Elliott from the beginning, and stand by his talent. I vowed to never watch again if Katharine beat him out with her T&A. She did, so I will NOT be watching the show anymore. First Clay, now Elliott? Ridiculous. I think it's fixed.

Anonymous said...

I've been following the show all season, but I don't think I'll bother with the finale. Honestly, I couldn't care less who wins, now.

I think both Elliott and Taylor were, at least, original. Katherine McClarkson is as dull as dishwater. I would vote for her for prom queen, but that's about the extent of her charm for me.

I would have loved to finally have a Jewish Idol, but alas, talent ain't enough for America.

Oh well, go Taylor, I guess. Yawn.

Anonymous said...

Elliott was absolutely my favorite and I'm sad to see him go. I mean, his voice did things to me. (Things.) I'm throwing my support behind Taylor at this point. Katharine has begun to grate on me like a butter knife against my skin (?) Talented, perhaps, but she does have a lot to learn about performance and doesn't seem as confident as Elliott or Taylor (and isn't nearly as awesome as the prematurely booted Paris). Taylor seems like he is having a total blast every time he is on stage, and while I'm not going to rush out to buy his CD (reminds me a little too much of Michael McDonald), his fun-loving, offbeat personality is far more deserving of idolatry than Katharine's generic cutesy. Don't vote with your crotch! (Unless her voice does things to you!!)

Fazer said...

I still think Katherine is going to win because it makes more logical sense from a pop music stand point, but I think Taylor has a great shot. I just hope the songs don't suck (but they will). The final performance show is always good, but I skip the final results show every year.

Also, Lost will be doing the 2 hour season finale and that will be more interesting.