Stealing Cable: The Season Finale

An open letter to my staff and our readers:

With all of the major finales behind us with the two notable exceptions of tomorrow night's Lost and Sunday after next's Sopranos, I figure it is a good time to clean house. After all, reading my G4 post made me realize that it was a bit ironic that I was calling them out for an identity crisis, considering my own project here has been meandering from TV centric, to more broad things to the point where it loses some focus. I know some things work and some things don't, and to that tune, I will be talking with all of our staff and attempt to nail down something a little more consistent, and a little less vague of a gameplan. Just what the hell is Stealing Cable? A bunch of pretentious nerds who are shoving their opinion down your throat? A lazy entertainment site with sometimes fun but usually directionless articles? Backdoor communist propaganda?

I always get a little pissed when sites that I am a fan of do this type of navel gazing, but I think that it is time to address some of the main complaints here.

1. Just what are we covering? Entertainment. TV will always be a focus, but we will also cover movies, games, and the occasional tech post.

2. Why so few and so inconsistent posts? I am as big an offender as anyone, but truth be told, our only drive on a no-pay site is response. I know this takes time, but it is really hard to keep this up with no motivation. I have been throwing around some ideas to get around this, and hopefully it will work out. Think about it..the writers and contributors here take time to post every now and then, and have no real obligation or nothing to lose by never coming around again, so in reality, we are lucky to get as much as we do.

3. Where is the podcast? Not dead, just no longer a focus. We will do another one when I feel the time is right. I have no plans to ever make it a regular feature. From now on, the blog will be the focus. Think of when the podcast comes as a bonus.

4. Why such a bland logo? Because art isn't my thing. Wanna help us out? Feel free.

5. Why the sometimes extremely random posting? I do my best to keep the posts timely, but sometimes when things are slow, it is necessary to go on a completely unreleated tangent. I have made an attempt to curve this in recent weeks, but it does make the posts less consistent. I would always prefer to have every thing we post relevant to something current, but spats of classic reviews and commentary are going to be unavoidable, at least until we solve probem 2.

6. Why has the attitude changed so much from the beginning? I had someone ask me this in an email. He went on a bit more about how we no longer mention Bruce Campbell in every post, or how the whole thing has lost a bit of it's nerd cred when expanding focus. In reality, I would rather entertain people than have a thing where it is 5 people telling in-jokes that 6 people would get, and then blow each other about how much more gooder we are than folks that don't get it. It's pretentious, it's elitist, and it's being done much better than we ever could elsewhere. It's just not the site that I wanna do.

In conslusion, we are going to set out to be the most broad scoped narrow scope entertainment site on the internet. We make no attempt to be an all encompassing site of any kind, and we will continue to post about what we as individuals think is important. Over the next few weeks and months, we will be undergoing some changes that will hopefully address the problems, from staff restructuring, downsizing, and upsizing, all the way down to a new logo, as well as some new behind the scenes protocol. Keep me updated on how you feel things are going, and some suggestions on how it could be better for you. As always, readers, we are constantly looking for new staff..feel free to use the email link on the right side of your screen.

Justin Kelly -
Your Editor in Chief(I suppose)

2 comments:

Fazer said...

is this an elaborate way of telling me I'm fired?

Sarah said...

that was so cute...sorry cant type mcuhmore than that...using a french keybopard...longstory.