DVD Goodness: The Roddy Piper Story


The past few years the WWE has been honoring their legends with in-depth DVDs chronicling their greatest moments. Finally there's one of these suckers that I have to get my mitts on. It's titled "Born to Controversy: The Roddy Piper Story" and it hits stores Tuesday.

Roddy Piper is simply put the greatest wrestler since the dawn of man. He may not be some steroid chugging behemoth. But those guys are a dime a dozen. Piper was all about using his big mouth to get the job done. Nobody talked trash better than Piper. He eventually took his charm and wit and applied it to motion pictures. As much as I enjoyed The Rock in THE RUNDOWN, Piper's role in THEY LIVE remains the greatest performance by a wrestler in film.

Included in the 3-disc set are several of Piper's signature matches. What I'm really looking forward to is Piper's legendary "Wrestlemania 2" boxing match against Mr. T. I'm sure the set will also offer up plenty of segments from "Piper's Pit," where Roddy would interview his fellow wrestlers and commonly end these chats by beating the snot out of his guests. I'd like to see Charlie Rose try that!

2 comments:

Fazer said...

i think Roddy's role in "They Live" is truly one for the ages, and I won't necessarily disagree that it was the greatest film portrayal of a wrestler, but I think moreso it may have been the greatest acting done by a human EVER.

worry said...

not to mention the greatest one-on-one street fight in film. every college film course should require a semester class on this scene alone.