Smith, We Hardly Knew Ya!

The new TV season is still in its infancy and already the rookie shows are dropping. That happens every year but usually the first shows to get axed are ones you could see coming a mile away. The biggest casuality so far is "Smith," CBS' crime drama that boasted an impressive cast including Ray Liotta and Virginia Madsen.

I liked "Smith." It wasn't groundbreaking and I'm sure I'll be able to go on with my life Smithless but it was an entertaining show and one of the few new shows I've watched more than once. "Smith" is a good example of what can happen to a serialized drama if it doesn't catch on quick with the networks. Shows like "Lost" and "24" are the exception to that rule. It would be great if a cable network like Spike, since like CBS they're owned by Viacom, could show whatever episodes of "Smith" are in the can but I won't hold my breath on that happening.

Meanwhile NBC has dumped its drama "Kidnapped" to the Saturday graveyard where it will finish out its run. There has also been a lot of talk as to what to do with "Studio 60," which continues to lose viewers as the weeks go by. Though with all the talent and money that NBC has devoted to "Studio 60" I don't see it leaving the airwaves without a huge effort being made to get it seen by as many people as possible.

As for the cast of "Smith," Liotta fans like myself can look forward to seeing him in the sure to be a blast film SMOKIN' ACES due out next Spring. I don't know what Vrginia Madsen has lined up but rest assured I will continue to fantasize about showering with her while her brother Michael watches us. Good times.

1 comment:

Fazer said...

I just realized that the madsen's are actually related. I should have seen it.

I too lament the loss of smith. I liked it. It was very serviceable. I really liked Simon Baker in it. He makes for a good loose cannon/bad ass/surfer/Point Break reject type dude.