From Deadwood to Die Hard

A couple weeks ago we reported, more like regurgitated, the news that Jeffrey Wright had been cast as the villain in LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD. It appears that deal either fell through or wasn't true because now several sites (still good enough for me!) are reporting that "Deadwood" star Timothy Olyphant has been tapped to play John McClane's main nemesis.

Olyphant's character is described as a mysterious figure behind an attack on the U.S.' computer infrastructure that begins to shut down the country. The character has planned out every angle to his scheme, except for the old-fashioned "analog" McClane. I suppose that means McClane will not spend the entire film at a keyboard eating Hot Pockets.

I've tried to get into "Deadwood" but it just hasn't clicked with me. It's not Olyphant's fault who does a nice job as one of the show's leads, I just find the pacing of the show beyond lethargic. I have enjoyed him in a few films like GO and A MAN APART so I'm optimistic that he can give Bruce Willis a decent run for his money. Though just as I said when it looked like Jeffrey Wright had the role, Olyphant is not the kind of name that's going to get people buzzing about the 4th DIE HARD. I guess it's just going to have to be an actual good movie.

No comments: