Sopranos: The Story So Far

The Sopranos is a Masterpiece. For those in the know, the show has taken quite a different turn this season, perhaps even more radical a direction than the much maligned season 4. Without spoiling too much for those of you who wait for the DVD's, let me tell you why the haters are wrong..this show is amazing.

-For having been off the air for an unbelievably long time, watching the season premiere put me right back in the mix as if I had never left off. Starting with continuing a running story and then taking an extreme turn in the last few minutes, this episode will go down as one of the best since the death of Big Pussy in Season 2 and the death of Ralphie in s4.

-Considering the new direction, the show's writers have a difficult task..these are untreaded waters, and they arguably failed the last time. 3 episodes in, I am more satisfied than I was with any other season. They have managed to keep both interweaving stories interesting and without the usual amount of "mob" stuff, that is quite a bit outside the comfort zone.

-AJ might be coming of age. Though not as much as I had hoped by this point in the series (I had always said that they should be grooming AJ to take over, but he is clearly not at that maturity level), it's good to finally see some progress in this character other than his stupid shenanigans.


We'll see if I am still as satisfied a few more episodes in, but so far this is the ULTIMATE scripted drama on television right now.

No comments: