Justin Fixes the Movies: V for Vendetta


This review will be the third review of this movie on the site. Why is this one unique? Unlike Faze and Darth, I am not familiar with the source material and am a fairly polarized politically minded person. From my perspective, this is not only the best movie so far this year, but one of the most important flicks to come out of Hollywood in a while. Let's discuss why it is one shade away from greatness.

The Good:
-The source material must have been great. We have a coherent story with great setup and characterizations.
-Acting is top notch, especially for Hugo Weaving. Think about how difficult it would be to convey emotion in a movie. Now think about how to do that if you are hidden behind a mask for the entire duration. Also notice how good Portman is when she is given real material.
-Style and direction, although borrowing from the Wachowskis for a few sequences, never override the movie, as you feel you are part of a story more than the spectacle around it.
-Hmm, there may or may not be a few parallels to our current situation, along with a few not so subtle digs at the American way. I hope that people come out of this movie thinking.
-It was literally 3 minutes in when this movie grabbed me, and didn't let go until the credits rolled.
-I love the goddamn posters for this movie.

The Bad:
- After a great no-modern rock soundtrack throughout the whole movie, why bring out the stones for the credits?
-This may be a tad convoluted throughout the middle for your average moviegoer.
-The Wachowskiesque action sequence was a little out of place, though fitting. My biggest qualm with it was the CGI blood effects. Call me old fashioned, but I'd have rather seen some organic stuff here, and for what it was, I don't think it would have been that difficult to pull off.
-I wonder if it could have been shorter..not that I was bored or feeling that this was too long during the movie, just looking back, maybe a few things could have been trimmed here or there.
-What's with the overblown domino scene? This is the only thing that kinda kicked me and reminded me that I was watching a comic book adaptation.

Overall, an excellent movie and as close to perfect as it has been in a very long time. I will certainly buy this DVD and check out the source material. Don't go in thinking you are in for an action movie, and don't go in with your brain turned off and I will guarantee you a great time.

9.8/10

No comments: