Justin Fixes the TV Shows: Sons and Daughters

Like most TV nerds, I was sucked into the marketing for Sons and Daughters. I've made a huge mistake.

Here goes:
-Why ape the one thing that sunk another show: Arrested Development's advertising strategy. All this did was get fans of AD to tune in..and if they are anything like me, they weren't impressed. Marketing can only get you so far.
-I am all for fleshing out characters, but there are just way too many here too, and they for the most part seem to have equal weight. Focus more on fewer characters, and perhaps think about making them likeable. The interviews all claim that this show would be more humane and identifiable than AD, but right now there are too many people to give a shit about any one of them.
-Three laughs. That was it during the entire hour for me, 2 coming from the glassed teen chick and one from the little girl, all three of which I knew were coming from their ad campaign. You have an identity crisis..are you going to try to balance comedy and drama like Scrubs? More like Desperate Housewives? or are you going to try to be balls out like AD? Decide and stick with it.


Overall, this is head and shoulders above most network sitcoms, but that isn't saying much. Given it's timeslot competition of Scrubs, I can not recommend this show. I do wish it the best and hope that ABC gives it time to get some footing and hopefully this show, which does have some potential, could get better.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Yes, I totally agree. I could'nt recommend it either. It took 43 mins. for me to crack a smile. Too many characters for me to follow. The 2nd half hour was a little too dramatic, I didn't see the funny.


I miss arrested. *holding back tears*