The Rock Gives Up.


There was a time after THE RUNDOWN was released that it looked like The Rock was ready to tackle the action genre by storm. The movie wasn't a huge success but it did a lot to show that he could headline a film that didn't involve him being shirtless ala THE SCORPION KING. Sadly, since THE RUNDOWN The Rock has turned out a whole slew of tired films. Now it appears things are only getting worse with The Rock's next movie, THE GAME PLAN.

In THE GAME PLAN The Rock plays a pro quarterback who finds himself saddled with a daughter he never knew existed. This leads to many wacky moments involving The Rock trying to cope with his new status as a father. You know things are gonna get wacky in the trailer because a James Brown song starts up about midway through.

I have no problem with The Rock not wanting to be typecast as an action actor. What I don't get is why that means he has to make total shit. It's often true, as in the case of THE PACIFIER, that total shit can make a lot of money at the box office but it could end up being at the expense of fans who will now be less interested in seeing him beat dudes up.

This is where I normally like to link to a trailer that I've been talking about but I'll spare you that here. Odds are if you go to the movies this summer you'll see THE GAME PLAN'S trailer before its September release. No need for you to waste your time watching it now.

3 comments:

Fazer said...

I was very sad when I saw this was The Rock's next film.

But...I just saw Doom and WOW was that bad. Now I think the real problem is The Rock's agent. Could they pick worse projects for this guy? After seeing the trailer for "The Game Plan", the answer is no.

Anonymous said...

Haha, guess what trailer I was fortunate enough to see when I went to see Knocked Up yesterday?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, saw the trailer for this one before Knocked Up, too (which was funny as hell, by the way)---and couldn't believe it. I've not been a huge fan of his flicks, but have been consistently impressed with his apparent intelligence and poise, only to see him even more consistently end up in roles that David Spade would turn down.

Yes, that smell is what The Rock is cooking.