Summer TV: Adult Swim topping the list

At first, this post was going to rave about Rescue Me fantastic internet preview short as well as the actual gut bustingly hilarious and emotional season premiere. But, I think we all know that Rescue Me has been one of the most consistently great tv shows for the past 2 years...if you didn't know that, now you do.

I was getting a little antsy about summer tv because its a lot of reality tv with the occasional "not good enough for the fall season" type tv show ala Luke Perry's comeback vehicle "Windfall" Then I was made aware that FINALLY after a year of waiting THE VENTURE BROTHERS ARE BACK.

June 25th, Team Venture is a go. Although if you watched last season you know that there are a lot of questions to answer. I would have to say Season 1 (out on DVD now) of the Venture Brothers was probably one of the most consistently entertaining shows that Adult Swim has put on since Aqua Teens. The humor is uproarious, great spoofs of comics and cartoons in general, and its just a really smart well written show. I look forward to an even better Season 2.

EDIT: I forgot to mention one of the other main reasons Adult Swim is the place to be this summer...Robot Chicken. This week's episode was a bit sub-par, but the show has had some wonderful highs so far. I would continue to watch for sure. Season 1 is currently out on DVD.

Now...this weekend for the lucky you may have seen the pilot for a show that I can only PRAY that Adult Swim greenlights; Korgoth of Barbaria. Take equal parts Conan the Barbarian (robert e. howard version), Frank Frazetta's artwork, The Venture Brothers, and kick ass Heavy Metal and you get Korgoth of Barbaria. The show is hyper-violent, full of sexual innuendo, and hilarious as hell. I can really only compare my feelings for this pilot to the way I felt after watching the original Venture Brothers pilot way back in 2003. Everything about this show was on key. It really did not miss a beat. Unfortunately, we may have to wait for a couple months to see future episodes, but I highly encourage you to catch reruns of the show later this week because there is no telling when Adult Swim will show it again.

Finally, the other show that actually will be airing this summer is the 4400. It starts next sunday, June 11th. Now if you watched season 2, you know there are a ton of questions that need to be addressed. I am actually getting pretty excited for it. I kind of forgot how much I liked season 2 over the course of the fall tv season. The 4400 has borrowed heavily from the X-files approach to sci-fi tv, but has managed to make an interesting storyline with actual payoffs something that other show just never had enough of.

I am sure there are other shows out there that I am missing, so let us know what you will be watching this summer.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed Korgoth as well. Thank you for the message reminding me to check it out.

As for shows you missed, there isn't much. The always great Entourage comes back to HBO next Sunday, and Morgan Spurlock brings back the only reality show worth watching, 30 days, at some point this summer. I can finally get caught up on my DVR.

worry said...

deadwood and 30 days

Fazer said...

were you guys disappointed by 30 days? I was. After the fantastic first episode, it got kind of stupid. The worst being that mom who decided to try drinking like her college age daughter? WTF will we learn from that? Getting Crunked makes you feel like crap?

worry said...

i actually liked the entirety of 30 days except that drinking episode you mention. but it's a show where you can have a good concept/hypothesis and then 30 days of footage that doesn't hold up, and you just gotta do what you can with it.

Fazer said...

Yea, also that episode with the dude taking supplements to overcome middle age physique sort of went nowhere also. I thought the concept was great, but it ended up being about his ugly wife's jealousy over the time he was spending with his hot trainer instead of her.