TV on DVD this week

In my bag today:

Undeclared: The complete series
Profit: The complete series
The Job: The Complete series

You may notice something tying those three together.

For the record, I watched the pilot of Undeclared when it first aired on Fox. I loved it. Back in these less geeky times, TiVo was a pipe dream, and I was too lazy to use a VCR, so I wasn't able to keep up with it. By the time I tried to watch again, the show was no more, and I never expected to hear of it again. Guys, this show is one of the best sitcoms of all time, right underneath Arrested Development and Scrubs. Not quite as dramatic as it's big brother, the also wonderful and short lived "Freaks and Geeks," but not quite the balls out comedy as one certain Jason Bateman sitcom, this one manages to walk the line and do it well. Writing is on, acting is on, and goddammit this is funny stuff. Go buy it, sight unseen. You'll thank me in the morning.


Profit is a show that I do not remember at all. I have never seen it before, and only picked it up based on one of my favorite cancelled shows of last season, John McNamara's "Eyes". This is his critically acclaimed show from the mid 90s. I'll give a review once I get into it.

Again with The Job, I have not seen a single second of it, nor do I remember it being on air. That said, this shows kid brother, Rescue Me, is undeniably one of the best shows on television, and the similar cast and premise had me looking at this one since the day it appeared on dvd shelves.

Finally, one I didn't buy but I know is popular with some folks, a show called the Simpsons released it's sixth season, marking halfway through the golden age of the show. While I didn't pick this one up (for reasons you will hopefully hear on a future Stealing Cable podcast), I can't give enough props to fox for not only giving us a cool case (the set comes in a plastic mold of Homer's head), but catering to the "I need all my dvd boxes to look nice beside each other" crowd by offering a replacement case that looks just like the previous five seasons for free! This gesture shows that even though the show is always going to be a sure fire hit on DVD, they don't forget about the collector. Unlike those certain retailers where finding a title in widescreen is a chore, Fox is trying to keep it real. Thanks.

One final bit: Getting Faze and I online together long enough to do a full podcast has been even more of a chore than I could have ever imagined. We are trying our best to get out a premiere in timely fashion, but I may have something up my sleeve to tide you over.

No comments: