DVD Goodness: The Departed

You probably don't need me to tell you that THE DEPARTED is a film worth watching. You could look at the amazing cast, its Oscar nominations, and the fact that it's directed by possibly the greatest filmmaker ever and make that decision on your own. But if you're looking to purchase this film tomorrow you may need a primer on which version to grab. This is where I will try to be of service.

If you care nothing for extras then the film will be available in a no frills edition, either in widescreen or full frame formats. Even though I find myself less and less interested in DVD extras as the years go by I will say that THE DEPARTED is a movie for which I welcome a large array of bonus features. So with that in mind there is also a special edition packed with documentaries, a Scorsese commentary, and I imagine lots of other goodies.

But that's not all. Best Buy will be offering a limited edition (of the special edition) packaged in a steelbook case with postcards. Furthermore, Target will have an edition of the film that includes a copy of the script so that you can read along with the actors while watching the film. Pep Boys will make an edition available that includes a free lube and filter. Not true, but Pep Boys does good work so I thought I'd give them a shout out.

Then of course the movie will be available in both Blu-ray and HD DVD formats. Honestly, I don't know what will be on those discs. But if you have one of those players you can order your butler to research that, you rich son of a bitch.

No comments: